History

Built in three stages, on land given to the village by Edmund Calverley of Oulton Hall, the original single storey building was paid for by public subscription and was completed in December 1893.  It was to be “for the benefit of the men and youths’ for use as a reading and writing room”.

The Hall and caretaker’s house were donated by Mrs Stuart Calverley in memory of her son Harold (hence the local name “The Harold Hall”) and was officially opened on 1st January 1897.

The upper storey was added to the front in 1912, paid for by private subscription.

The Institute is still run as a charitable trust for the benefit of the village.

Further History:    http://www.Woodlesfordstation.co.uk/pages/oultoninstitute.aspx